Position: Construction Manager – Fulltime
November 1, 2022
Goodhue County Habitat for Humanity, Inc. (GCHFH) seeks to put God’s love into action by bringing people together to build homes, hope, and community. Our vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
The Construction Manager will support the mission of Habitat for Humanity by overseeing the construction, renovation, and repair of homes for qualified residents of Goodhue County in accordance with guidelines, practices, policies, standards, and codes accepted and supported by GCHFH. The Construction Manager will build relationships with vendors, contractors, and organizations, in and outside of Goodhue County, to allow GCHFH to perform construction work safely, efficiently, economically, and effectively. Much of the construction and repair work is performed by volunteers, often including site supervision, and the Construction Manager must be willing and able to utilize volunteers of varying skill levels to perform selected work properly and safely.
GCHFH’s goal is to construct or renovate at least three homes and provide repairs or improvements to at least twenty-one homes each year. The Construction Manager will oversee all Home Construction and Home Revitalization construction-related projects from permitting to completion with the assistance of GCHFH staff and key volunteers. The Construction Manager will report to and work closely with the Executive Director, and work closely with the Community Engagement Coordinator, Home Revitalization Coordinator, Finance and Family Support Coordinator, Executive Director and other staff and key volunteers to organize, develop and follow the processes, procedures, systems, and volunteer organization to ensure the objectives of the GCHFH are met in a safe, timely, enjoyable, and satisfying manner.
Primary duties for the Construction Manager include ensuring safety measures and procedures are followed at constructions sites, overseeing development of house and project design parameters, supervising construction staff, directing and training skilled and unskilled volunteers, directing and monitoring subcontractors, developing house and project construction schedules, ordering construction materials for timely delivery for each project, ordering and monitoring required inspections, ensuring compliance with appropriate building codes and expectations, and coordinating and communicating clearly and frequently with staff and key volunteers to assure all facets of GCHFH function effectively. The Construction Manager will work with family members of home construction or home revitalization projects to determine desires and needs of the family, and to involve certain family members in project work as per Family Commitment expectations. Projects will be at multiple sites within Goodhue County. Affordable Habitat housing includes measures to construct or repair homes for energy-efficiency and resistance to harsh weather conditions.
- Knowledge and passion for the mission and ministry of Habitat for Humanity.
- Strong commitment to safety.
- Passion for results-oriented practices, processes and systems for Home Construction and Home Revitalization programs (Aging in Place, Critical Home Repair and A Brush with Kindness).
- Strong background in residential home construction and/or repair.
- Empathetic and person-driven approach to project solutions.
- Possession of excellent people skills and willingness to work with people of all ages, races, faiths, backgrounds, and skill levels.
- Ability to communicate with vendors, subcontractors, and volunteers regarding project needs.
- Ability to establish a good working relationship with volunteers and homeowner families.
- Ability and passion required to develop, implement, and manage programs effectively and efficiently.
- Enthusiastic, collaborative, team-focused approach with internal and external customers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
- Creative and flexible problem solving and development ability.
- High integrity.
- Effective leadership skills.
- Self-motivated and independent worker.
- Positive outlook.
- Tactful and diplomatic.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment.
- Comfortable with desk, telephone, and computer work, as well as home visits, project sites, and in community settings.
- Strong computer skills and ability to learn new systems.
- Comfortable with documentation and record-keeping.
- Able to adjust work hours to fit changing needs.
- Able to work occasional evenings or weekends.
- Office in Red Wing; routine travel throughout Goodhue County.
- Full-time preferred.